Aware and Active!
The project „Aware and Active” (AAA) is a three-year Action started in December 2016 and supported by the European Commission in the context of the Erasmus+ Programme. It is coordinated by Interkulturelles Zentrum, the Austrian National Agency for the Erasmus+: Youth in Action programme. The main objectives of the project are preventing violent radicalization and promoting democratic values, fundamental rights, intercultural understanding and active citizenship of young people; and enhance critical thinking and media literacy among young people.
Seven National Agencies of Erasmus+: Youth in Action programme from Austria, Estonia, Finland, France, Italy, Macedonia and Slovenia are directly involved into the project implementation. The project is also supported by National Agencies from Germany, Belgium-Flanders, the Netherlands, Croatia, Slovakia and Latvia as well as POYWE - Professional Open Youth Work in Europe.
In the last years Europe has been facing many difficulties. An economic crisis, a wave of refugees coming from the war ridden areas of the world (Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq and many African countries). Violent extremism and terrorist attacks shaken Europe while the same time xenophobia, islamophobia and racism become stronger in Europe. In response on this in 2015 the Paris Declaration was adopted. The Declaration aims at promoting citizenship and common value of freedom, tolerance and non-discrimination trough education.
The project is aimed at young people between 16 and 30 years of age. In particular, young migrants, refugees and asylum seekers are to be involved in the project.
- preparatory analysis and practical preparations where themes will be validated, strategies will be elaborated and participants will be found.
- Training activities and Ideas Labs in each participating country: Participatory process which will begin with the capacity building of young people as multipliers including those with migration background. Within the Ideas Labs the open process of finding ways of raising awareness about the objectives of the project will be set up. The process will culminate in the elaboration of concrete concepts on awareness raising activities in each Ideas Lab.
- European Ideas Lab - the next step, these concrete ideas will be brought on the European level with multipliers per participating country taking part in a European Ideas Lab where the motivated young people can exchange their ideas and methods, find synergies and links between their activities and develop under the joint roof a European Campaign, which makes use of all the previously elaborated awareness raising activities. These activities will be developed in a participatory way to ensure active participation and ownership of the young people. There will be various activities financially supported in the fields of social media, arts and culture, media with products like brochures, postcard, movies, websites, etc.
- European Campaign and Awareness Raising Activities –though campaign and its activities, a larger audience will be reached and will made aware of the positive aspects of a diverse society as well as the situation and needs of young migrants and refugees. The campaign and its activities will be use multiple methods and channels (online, residential activities, public interventions, arts and culture, media, etc.)
- DEOR Fair “Aware and Active!” - after the implementation of the European Campaign comprising of all the awareness raising activities an event, the so called DEOR Fair “Aware and Active!”, will take place where the outputs and outcomes of the different activities will be presented targeting to upscale, disseminate and exploit the project results on a European level for different sectors. Among the participants will be young people, youth workers, and decision makers on local, regional, national and European levels.